Brand Review: 100 Percent Pure natural cosmetics

It's been almost two years since I made the transition to using primarily natural, toxin-free and organic cosmetics. And if I'm being totally honest, I will admit that it's been a harder switch than I first anticipated, simple because the majority of the big box retailers, and even the beauty specialty stores like Sephora and Ulta, really don't carry a lot of natural cosmetic lines. This means you're stuck ordering products from online companies where you can't really see the colors, test the consistencies, etc. While it means you end up getting more fun packages in the mail :), it also means you may spend more time than you'd like returning things that don't work. All this to say, if I can help you minimize that trial and error at all, leading you to high quality products that you can feel good about using, this blog will be a success!

Thanks to YouTube (where I do the vast majority of my beauty research), I was introduced to the 100 Percent Pure line, and it's probably the natural brand from which I've tried the most products. I love the fact that they use mostly fruit pigments to color their cosmetics, they don't use any nasty ingredients like parabens, triclosan, or sulfates, and they carry a full line of products -- from makeup to cruelty-free beauty tools to bath products and even skin care. It makes it easy to find enough products to meet their minimum $50 free shipping spend limit, especially when compared to a lot of other natural brands that only careful a handful of items. :)

Moving on to products, here's my list of GOs and NO GOs when it comes to what to buy:

It's a GO
  1. By far my favorite item in their line are their butter soaps -- they smell absolutely delicious, are rich and creamy, and last roughly 3-4 weeks in the shower (pretty comparable to standard bar soaps…many organic or natural soaps that I've tried wash away within a week and then I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth). My absolute favorite scent is the coconut butter, but I'm a self-proclaimed coco-NUT (yes, a bad pun). I've actually tried all of the scents and the only ones I don't personally care for are the meyer lemon and eucalyptus. 
  2. If you're worried about puffy or dark under eyes like I am, due to my allergies, their caffeine infused coffee bean eye cream is a must have. I buy the small tube for $10 and it lasts me for months because you only need a tiny bit. It smells deliciously like coffee too, if that's your thing.
  3. I really, really love their gel liner. I honestly can't put my finger on anything that makes it particularly special or different, and it's not cheaper than standard alternatives. But at the end of the day that's why I like it so much -- it's an exact replica or those harmful, toxin filled products without any of the chemicals. Brilliant.
The Maybes
  1. I've tried both their foundation and tinted moisturizer and have mixed feelings. The Pros are that they both have SPF so you don't have to worry about applying sunscreen separately, and again, the ingredients are all natural so it's a product you can good about using. For me, the coverage wasn't quite heavy enough for my personal preference (even though the foundation claims to be full coverage), and the moisturizing aspect was just a touch too greasy for my oily skin. That said, if you have dry skin or are only looking for light to medium coverage, these may be perfect for you.
  2. I actually really like their pressed powder but it's packaged so poorly that I can't help but give it a maybe rating. The powder works really well at creating a matte, smooth finish, but it's packaging in a metal tin in which the powder pan always loosens from (this has happened to me with each of the three I've owned). Not to mention, there is something about the consistency of the product that every time you hit pan, the entire thing shatters. You can try to continue using it, but essentially you'll wind up wasting much of what's left.

The NO GOs
  1. Absolutely 100% stay away from their eyebrow powder gel. This stuff is just terrible. I ordered the taupe color because I have light skin and don't like harsh looking eyebrows. Yet, even as a brand new item, I could not get color to show up on my skin without applying multiple layers. And although I kept the product tightly sealed (it's packaged in a small container with a lid that snaps shut), it dried up on me in a matter of weeks and is now barely usable. What a waste.
  2. The acne skin care line made my breakouts worse. I know acne care is a really individual thing, so it's certainly possible that it will work for you. 


In terms of my overall thoughts of the brand, I like things enough to keep coming back and trying new items and the fact that the ingredients are so natural always wins them brownie points.

If you're interested in learning more about the brand or checking out their products, hop on over to www.100percentpure.com or if you're lucky enough to live in California, they have four retail stores scattered throughout the state. If you decide to try something, let me know what you buy and what your thoughts are! And if you have any other natural cosmetic brands to recommend, let me know in the comments.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

PHLBloggers
Follow on Bloglovin