Introducing Beautycounter's Lengthening Mascara!

When you switch to using all-natural, toxin-free makeup, you start to notice that some categories are easier to replace than others. Powder products, like blush, bronzer and eyeshadow? Almost always a cinch, with the natural products performing just as good as the traditional ones. Foundation and other liquids? Slightly harder, as sometimes the consistency and color range can be altered when certain emulsifiers are removed. Mascara? Probably the single most difficult item to find...if you want something that works.

I've tried LOTS of natural mascaras, and after much testing, I've found just a few that I can bare. Pacifica has a "volumizing" mascara that isn't bad and 100% Pure's lengthening mascara smells delicious, which makes it a little more enticing. But seriously guys, I think I may have found the holy grail now that Beautycounter -- a brand you know I love to support -- finally released their take on this makeup staple.

When I was first introduced to Beautycounter I thought it was interesting to see that, despite having a full-range of skin care and cosmetics products, there was no mascara on the menu. My consultant, Kerry, told me that it was because the CEO was dedicated to only bringing products to market that really performed, and to-date, they hadn't found a mascara formula that they felt was both effective AND safe.

A few weeks ago, I got an email saying they were finally releasing a mascara, and I about jumped for joy, although I'll be honest that I had my doubts about how it would perform. It's not that I don't have faith in Beautycounter, but more that past experience a) has shown me that Beautycounter products tend to favor a more natural/subtle look and b) it's just really, really hard to nail a good natural mascara.

Yesterday my tube arrived in the mail, and this morning I gave the product a whirl. And guys, I think I'm in love.

I wasn't sure what to think when I took out the wand and saw that it was really, teeny tiny -- like, probably the smallest mascara wand I've ever used (hard to get that across in the picture). But now I'm thinking the shape is probably part of the reason this stuff works so well. Within a swipe or two, my lashes had achieved significant length without a clump in sight -- and that was without the incessant back and forth swiggle swiping I usually do. When I added a second coat and a little more maneuvering, this stuff really performed, and I'm a big lash kind of gal, so when I say that my lashes met my length expectations, it means a great deal.

The color was a nice, dark black, which I like, as my eyelashes are on the lighter side, and after 5 hours of wear, I don't have a single flake under my eyes, even though I've been sweating from the blistering, summer-like temperatures in Philly today. As you would expect from Beautycounter, the packaging of this product is sleek and modern, although I will say I was hoping it would come in that gorgeous Yves Saint Laurent-esque gold metal that their concealer's in.

Of course, this wouldn't be a Beauty Babble blog post if I didn't talk to you a bit about the cons I've noticed (because let's face it, every product has pros and cons).

Firstly, the formula is a wee bit sticky. Granted, I've only used this mascara once, so it's hard to tell if that's because it's brand new or because there are a few different kinds of wax in the ingredients. It does worry me a little, because mascaras tend to get stickier as they dry out, so this could mean that this product will dry out and become unusable faster than normal.

Secondly, because the wand is teeny tiny and they want to still give you a good amount of product, the stick part of the wand is pretty long and can be a little bendy, which can make the application a little harder. This wasn't a huge issue for me, but I did notice that as I was trying to drag the wand up my eyelashes, the stick part bent, meaning I needed to exert a bit more effort to move it along my eye.

Overall, as first impressions go, I have to give this product pretty strong reviews. At $29 a pop, it's not cheap, although the price is pretty comparable to other high-end brands. You can also snag a three-pack and save a few bucks. For that you'll shell out $78.

If you're interested in learning more about Beautycounter or want to stock up on this or other products, you can swing by their website, reach out to my consultant, Kerry, or find a consultant in your area. And if you've tried this mascara, or any other Beautycounter products, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below!




0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

PHLBloggers
Follow on Bloglovin