This Week in TV: 6/14-6/18

The Bachelorette

This picture reminds me of my first kiss: It was in Kindergarten after I taunted this little boy Anthony with a "missed me, missed me, now you've got to kiss me" during a game of tag, and lo and behold, he did. And I was just as stiff as Ali is above, waiting for the moment to be over before it had even started.

In the beginning, I liked Kasey -- Kermit the frog voice and all -- but now I just think he's sort of recently-released-from-the-funny-farm psycho. Who in their right mind gets a tattoo after knowing a girl for about a month? And what was with all the ridiculous singing? If you're going to serenade a girl, you should at least prepare in advance, have a clear melody in mind and continue the whole song without awkward starting and stopping (Example: although he didn't quite sing, an appropriate mentor for Kasey should be Ryan Sutter from the first bachelorette when he wrote Trista that amazing poem and read it to her at SeaWorld. Loved it). The funniest part was Ali's reaction to the whole thing -- you could tell she was trying to be polite by smiling and giggling, but it was SO FAKE and you could see that she was incredibly turned off by the whole thing....which leads me to believe that she kept him another week purely because she HAD to give out 9 roses.

Does it feel like she's eliminating guys so slowly or is that just me? I think it's already obvious who she has a connection with (Roberto, Chris L., Frank, Kirk, maybe Ty and Justin), so she should have been able to just give out six roses and send those other guys on their way. Which brings me to the topic of Chris N.? Why the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is he still on this show and where has he been for the last four weeks? I think I heard him speak for the very first time this week and he only uttered one sentence. Why does the guy get zero screen time? And the same could be said about Craig R. Ali keeps giving him roses, but when do they ever spend time together? I just don't get it!

Regardless, I am looking forward to the Iceland episode next week -- it's a destination that I'd actually like to go to someday. A friend of mine (Hi Tanya!) recently went and said the blue lagoon was awesome -- I think Ali and the boys are headed there in the episode, so keep your eyes peeled!

So You Think You Can Dance

I am SO sad that Alexie was the first to go on SYTYCD and I think the judges made a HUGE mistake. In my opinion, Lexie was one of the most talented girls picked for this season (aside from Lauren, I don't care for any of the other female dancers) -- truth be told, I think they only eliminated her because she's a contemporary dancer, and to their own fault, they picked too many in that style for this season. Now, I agree that her performance with Twitch was subpar, but she wasn't given much to work with. I thought the choreography was SO bland and not hip-hop at all -- they hardly moved and the routine was so slow! -- so I thought it was particularly unfair to put the blame on Alexie for that number. Personally, I thought Cristina should have gone. I couldn't believe that Nigel said she was the only one who "danced for her life" in the solo. She's quite clearly the least talented of the top 11, and if the competition was truly about performance ability and not producer favorites, either she or Melinda (who did a horrible jive -- I've seen non-dancers on DWTS do a better jive than she did), one of the two of them would be gone and Alexie would be performing with the Top 10. 


On the other end of the spectrum we have the absolutely amazingly talented Alex Wong, who is my second favorite this season (behind Kent Boyd who is just so darn cute!). I thought Alex's routine with Allison was flawlessly executed and performed with such emotion. Overall, I actually think the boys this season are particularly strong -- Billy, Kent, Robert and Jose all performed really well. The only one I'm not crazy about is Adechike. Perhaps I'm still jaded that they picked him over Anthony (who I thought was a much better dancer and had a more interesting personality/story), but I just don't think he's up to par. His performance with Kathryn was SO stale even though she was selling it like crazy. I hope he goes next week.

One final commentary: did anyone else think the judges were WAY too harsh on Lauren for her jazz routine with Ade? Personally, I thought she gave a very fun, sexy performance, and was very on point technically. Sure, she looked at the audience a few too many times instead of 100% connecting with Ade, but was it really necessary for Adam Shankman to jump down her throat like that? With Alexie gone, I think she's the only true talent + personality left on the girls side, so I hope she's able to please the judges more next week.

That's all for this week's edition -- if anyone has any recommendations for other summer shows I should be watching, please let me know. With Glee over, I'm out on a Tuesday night TV show, and I also haven't found any truly captivating series for Friday-Sun. Let me know and have a great weekend everyone!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

I'm a member of Lady Project!

Popular Posts

PHLBloggers
Follow on Bloglovin